San Francisco Bay Area Adoption Attorney
Adopting a child and providing the child with a loving and caring family and home is a wonderful thing. When you adopt a child, you legally assume all of the parental rights and responsibilities for the child.
There are generally five kinds of adoptions in California:
- Stepparent or domestic partner adoptions: Stepparents may adopt the children of their spouses. Local county probation or welfare departments handle these adoptions.
- Inter-country adoptions: Adoption of foreign-born children for whom federal law makes a special immigration visa available.
- Independent adoptions: Adoptive parent(s) assume legal responsibility for a child.
- Agency adoptions: Adoption of children who are placed for adoption by a licensed public or private adoption agency that has custody of the child as the result of either the parent(s) voluntarily relinquishing their legal rights to the agency or involuntary termination of parents’ legal rights by the court, and
- Adult adoptions: Where two consenting adults agree to form a parent-child relationship.
Each type of adoption presents its own complexities and challenges. Norbert U. Frost can help you make sure the process is done with a minimal amount of stress and that potential pitfalls are avoided before they become a problem. This involves careful preparation before the adoption process begins, properly filing your paper work, being aware of what the common pitfalls are in an adoption case, and being able to react with precision to new challenges as they emerge.
Call (707) 553-7356 or fill out the form on our Contact page to schedule your consultation.